BlogCatalog

Friday, August 30, 2013

Moving Across the Country

I guess today I'll address the fact that a little over a year ago I picked up my life and moved across the Country. 2,711 miles to be exact.  I packed up one suitcase (yes just one) boarded my direct flight to MCO and temporarily kissed Cali goodbye.  I never expected Florida to have such a big impact on me and I most certainly did not expect to be here a year later with two jobs, a year lease, a roommate that is more like a sister, and no intentions of moving back to the West Coast.

So what have I learned in a year across the Country? First of all crying gets you nowhere. Before I moved here I would classify myself as a pretty sensitive person. I would take rude comments personally and let people transmit their bad days onto me.  However, I have learned that most negative comments and attitudes have nothing to do with me and I no longer let them effect my day or my feelings.

I have also learned that the people who matter in your life will always be there even if they are thousands of miles away. No one really has time to call and catch up every week or even every month. In fact some of my closest friends I rarely get to talk to.  We are all young and busy building careers. I don't hold people to calling me all the time or feel as if they don't care.  When we do get the time, we catch up and talk as if no time has passed at all.

I think the hardest thing about moving far away from where you spent most of your life, is the uncertainty of what will be left when you get back.  There is no telling who will be around or what will change.  For me, the most difficult thing is having my family so far away.  I work every single holiday and since I have moved here I have not been able to go back home yet.  Being far away makes you wonder if it's really worth it if you can't spend time with the people you love.  Don't get me wrong...I have made some awesome friends here that I would be extremely sad to leave behind, but I don't want to regret not spending enough time with my family members.

The best thing about moving far away from home is the sheer excitement and adventure of starting over and recreating a new life.  It's nice to prove to yourself that you can do it on your own.  I moved out to Florida without knowing a single person, without a car, and without any intention of staying longer than six months.  I cannot believe how far I have come and how much I have accomplished on my own.  Being independent and self sufficient is probably the best feeling I have ever experienced.

So as my adventure continues I just keep counting my blessings that I don;t only have family in California, but now I have created a new family here in Orlando. How lucky am I to know so many great people from all across the country.

-E



No comments:

Post a Comment