BlogCatalog

Thursday, August 1, 2013

10 things to smile about


Sometimes I find myself in a funk, feeling sorry for myself and being a Debbie Downer.  I know it happens to everyone because we are all human and none of us are perfect.  For all those gloomy days I have created a list of what I believe to be the top 10 reasons to smile.

Family: I know you all must have seen this one coming... but family is really a wonderful reason to smile.  To have people love you unconditionally no matter what is an amazing thing.  Family doesn't necessarily have to be blood related...it can include friends, significant others, and even pets. It's great to be loved and it is great to be able to love back.  What a great reason to smile!

Food: To me food is a big reason to smile. I love food and flavors and how it can evoke feelings and even bring back memories.  Everyone knows chocolate can cure the toughest break up, and the most devastating heart break.


Heartbeats: Smile because our physiology is amazing, and it's a miracle every day that our hearts are beating and we are still breathing.

Music: Music can evoke all different kinds of emotion.  Music is universal and people use lyrics and melodies to relate with their inner feelings and emotions.  Honestly, have you ever heard anyone say "music is the worst. I hate music." Nope, it doesn't happen because music makes people happy.

Employment: I am the first to realize that working can be stressful, redundant, and sometimes a real drag. Having a job (two in my case) in these economic times is really something to smile about.  How boring would life be if we just sat around all day and didn't work?  While work isn't always going to bring us smiles, the freedom to make our own money and not rely on others is an accomplishment and something to be proud of every day...even if you have to dress like this.

Impact: Smile because your actions can impact others.  A simple smile from you can brighten another person's day. You have more power than you think you have. Compliment others, give thanks and forgiveness, and tell people how much you appreciate them. Life is too short to hold grudges and too unpredictable to take people for granted.

Change: Smile because you are in control of your happiness. If you aren't happy, you have the power to change your situation to become happier. I moved across the country to make a fresh start and to have a new adventure. Changes in life are inevitable, so you might as well have the upper hand and make the changes on your clock in your favor. Don't settle for anything less than happiness.

Sunshine: Sunshine is a wonderful, wonderful thing. It warms the soul, bathes us in Vitamin D and brings life to what would be a dark, lifeless earth.  Don't stay cooped up inside all day. Get outside and soak up some rays. You will feel like smiling, guaranteed!

Exercise: Can anyone say endorphins?? Exercising will not only make you feel accomplished, but it will also give you a happy, healthy body.  There is no better feeling than right after you finish a rigorous work out. So get up and get that blood pumping.

Friends: This one is a given.  What better thing in life than finding people that you love to spend time with.  I have moved four times, starting fresh with each move and I have met the most AMAZING people in each city.  My friends constantly make me laugh, console me when I'm sad, and come up with the craziest plans.  I am constantly grateful for the people that make me smile and laugh every day. Surrounding yourself with great people is a must.

Now go out and show off those pearly whites
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment