BlogCatalog

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Myth or Magic DIY t-shirt

So today I spent my day trying out a couple DIY projects I saw on Pinterest. I combined two tutorials, one on cutting the shirt and one on using a technique of tie dying with alcohol and sharpies.
To start out you need to find a shirt you are willing to cut up. This is a men's under shirt that I had lying around. Don't mind the wrinkles.

What I did first was cut off the sleeves, the neckline and the bottom seam.


It should look something like this. You can play around with how thin you want the sleeves and such.


Next you simply  cut small strips of fabric along the bottom. This takes awhile and be careful to not accidentally cut off the strands as you work. You can cut them really long like me to make a cropped shirt or keep them short and have a longer shirt.


Once all the strips are cut. Pull them and stretch them out. You should also do this with the sleeve line and the neckline, to make the frayed edges disappear.


What I did next isn't mandatory, but I tied little knots at the end of each strain and then cut off the the extra fabric. It should look something like this.  If you wanted you could add beads to the strands before knotting them.


The next part of this tutorial is the sharpie tie dying. It was really easy and I love the way it turned out. You can really draw whatever you like, even just stripes and it will look cool. I decided to go with a diamond shape.

I created a stencil using the back of my sharpie packaging.


I stenciled on diamonds in different colors. Like I said you can have fun with this and do whatever shapes colors or patterns you want.


After that I took a little dropper that I got for $1 in the baby section at the grocery store and drop small splashes of rubbing alcohol on top of the marker lines.


After a few minutes you will see the ink starting to disperse. It is awesome!


There you have it the finished product! I love the way mine turned out and I am excited to try different patterns! This was definitely a Pinterest MAGIC.
-E

3 comments: